Contraindications of Sildenafil
Sildenafil citrate is a drug used for the treatment of male impotence. The drug is popularly known as Viagra or blue pill and it is the most popular medicine in the world since last 2 decades. This medicine has saved thousands of relationships and millions of men from embarrassment of erectile dysfunction.
However, from a past few years individuals have started abusing this drug. There are many myths related to the drug and these myths have promoted the over use and abuse of the medicine. As a result, patients are getting more side-effects than the optimum results. The side-effects in turn affect the performance of the male individual in the bedroom.
Mostly, this medicine is considered as boost for sexual performance for males contrary to the fact that sildenafil is a drug that has its own side-effects, limitations and contraindications. Contraindications of sildenafil can be in form of cautions where one has to be careful while administering the medicine. On the other hand, there are cases in which an individual cannot use this medicine or there can be serious side effects and fatal end results after consumption of the medicine. Below are the cases in which Viagra is contraindicated in men:
- Sildenafil is contraindicated in case the patient is consuming medicines classified under nitrates, organic nitrites and nitric oxide donors. Examples of such medicines include sodium Nitroprusside, amyl nitrite and glyceryl trinitrate.
- Sildenafil should not be consumed in cases where sexual activity is prohibited by doctors due to medical conditions affecting the cardiovascular health. Sildenafil will increase the blood flow in this case and as a result heart will exert that may lead to severe complications.
- In case of severe hepatic and renal impairment – if an individual with erectile dysfunction suffers from severely affected liver and kidney disorders consumes the sildenafil, there are chances that liver will not be able to process the drug into the bloodstream and kidneys may not excrete the drug as in the normal healthy individual. As a result there can be damage to liver as well as kidneys and lack of excretion will increase side-effects and complications.
- Low/high blood pressure – sildenafil should not be used in case of severe cases of hypotension as well as hypertension. If an individual is taking medicines for hypotension or hypertension, Viagra may interact with the drug and make it ineffective.
- In case of recently encountered heart attack or stroke – if an individual has recently encountered a stroke or heart attack, he must not take sildenafil as it can again trigger the condition or even make it worse.
- In women, pregnancy and mothers of newborn – the drug should be used for treatment of erectile dysfunction in men. This medicine is contraindicated for use in women and pregnant mothers.
- Individuals below 18 years of age – sildenafil cannot be consumed by male persons below 18 years of age until your Doctor prescribes.
- Retinal disorders – sildenafil cannot be consumed in case of rare hereditary disorders which includes non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy (NAION). Sildenafil is also contraindicated in cases of retinal disorder.
- This list of contraindications is not exhaustive. Ask your Doctor or pharmacist for more information related contraindications of sildenafil.
There is an old but true saying “You Are What You Eat” and on the other hand there is another saying that “prevention is better than cure”. Rather than eating …
Sildenafil citrate is a drug used for the treatment of male impotence. The drug is popularly known as Viagra or blue pill and it is the most popular medicine in …
Constant failures in bed can be very depressing but there is no reason to bear them. Visit your doctor to find out what is happening to you. Facts given below …